Jigna Patel, OD
- NC School of Science & Mathematics
- Undergrad at University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
- Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus University
Specialty / expertise
- Primary Care, Contact Lenses, and Dry Eye
When did you know that you wanted to be an optometrist?
- Optometry came to me. I worked as an optometric technician, then shadowed several of doctors in various healthcare fields, and I always came back to optometry. You can actually see what’s going on in someone’s body without cutting them open. There’s more to this than meets the eye.
Favorite part of being an optometrist
- Cutting up with my patients; chatting it up and laughing
- Giving back to the community and world through service. I go annually to different parts of the world with the OneSight organization to serve disadvantaged underserved communities in need of ocular health and vision care. We actually make the glasses on site and get the opportunity to see children and adults see for the first time! Hands down the best part of it all!
- I am secretly a mermaid, so any beach will do!
- However, my absolute favorite place on Earth so far is Zanzibar/Serengeti, Tanzania, Africa – the clearest waters on Earth! And the Serengeti really is everything depicted in Lion King, but even more magical in person!
Favorite concert you’ve been to
- Beyonce – Formation World Tour. Lightning thunderstorms did not stop Beyonce from delivering a phenomenal performance. And I was there along with the rest of the Beyhive :)
- I have skills in drawing—I love composing still life portraits, capturing the soul and story of a person onto charcoal and paper.
- I play alto saxophone. I was part of Marching Tarheels and pep band during college.
- Fun fact: I am actually pretty good at Spades.
- Fun fact: I own a typewriter that does not get nearly enough love as it deserves. I used it to type poetry. I also own an Atari! My favorite next to my Nintendo! Still works fine! Nintendo, does too once I blow the dust off.